What is the Pupil Premium?
The pupil premium is extra funding the government gives to schools to raise the achievement of disadvantaged pupils. The amount a school receives depends on the number of pupils eligible for free school meals.
Parents are encouraged to register their children, even if:
- they do not want to eat school meals
- they already receive universal infant free school meals.
This is in order to raise extra money for the school, which can be used towards extra tuition, learning assistants or after school clubs. The process is confidential, other children and parents will not be aware of who is in receipt of the Pupil Premium funding.
Who can apply?
Your child may be able to get free school meals if you get any of the following:
- Income Support
- Income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance
- Income-related Employment and Support Allowance
- Support under Part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
- The guaranteed element of Pension Credit
- Child Tax Credit (provided you’re not also entitled to Working Tax Credit and have an annual gross income of no more than £16,190)
- Working Tax Credit run-on - paid for 4 weeks after you stop qualifying for Working Tax Credit
- Universal Credit - if you apply on or after 1 April 2018 your household income must be less than £7,400 a year (after tax and not including any benefits you get)
Free school meals for reception, year 1 and 2 children
All children in reception, year 1 and year 2 classes automatically receive universal infant free school meals. However, if you meet the qualifying criteria listed below, completing an application for benefits-related free school meals could help your children's school get valuable extra funding through the pupil premium.
I have questions, who can I speak to?
Just come to the office or speak to a member of staff on the gate or contact Mrs Sheerin. You could also call the school on 0116 2661114. We also have Pupil Premium information pamphlets in the office.
Our Pupil Premium Lead is Mr Odedra (Headteacher)
For more information about Pupil Premium, follow this link to the government website:
To apply for Free School meals, follow this link to the Leicester City Council page: